RE: [MV] HMMWV v. idiots in government

From: J Brennan (brenrock@optonline.net)
Date: Wed Aug 27 2003 - 18:02:16 PDT

The statement:

>> Q. Can I buy a Humvee?
>>
>> A. No. The military version of the Humvee does not meet
>> the Department of
>> Transportation safety standards and is not offered for sale.

Is totally true but doesn't answer the entire question now does it.
What if Joe citizen was willing to make the changes? What if a company
was willing to enter into contract with DRMS or whomever that they would
make the changes to bring the MV into safety compliancy? Gee, what a
simple concept and it would get the gov't money! Crap I'd be willing to
start up a company to "upgrade" the military Humvee's and sell them to
the public.

I've done the research and it cannot be found (safety issues). However
what can be found are numerous letters that all end at the same "safety
issue" dead end.

As I stated in an earlier e-mail when both CT DMV and I requested AM
General to provide a list of what safety standards the military HMMWV
does not meet the written answer to CT DMV was they could not release
that information because it was classified. Also they only answered CT
DMV and not he several FED-EX letter I sent them. Now since I and
hundreds of others own the vehicles how can it be classified? Even CT
DMV thought this was a joke but did not want to spend any more time on
the issue. One has to ask why they are unwilling to give out the
information. Perhaps it is truly classified but I don't buy it. The
only logical reason (and perhaps that's all our problem here - trying to
be logical with gov't policies) is a financial reason.

3 years ago when I acquired mine and ran into the issues with CT DMV I
got tons of advice. One gentlemen claimed to be with AM General (lower
in the food chain) and stated that there was this "agreement" with DOD
not to sell them for financial reasons. Obviously such an e-mail could
be bogus. I also got copies of letter from AM General to CT DMV telling
them not to register my Humvee as well as a letter to AM General to
suppliers telling them not to sell parts to us owners. The later letter
steps into legal issues with denial of trade. Seems kind of odd that AM
General was going way out of their way to make it hard for us MV Humvee
owners.

John