2568 Miles in a Deuce!

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Fri Aug 29 2003 - 05:32:03 PDT

Well gang, I too just got home from an extended trip in my M275A2. This trip
was a little different from most deuce trips. I had my M35A2 cargo truck
piggybacked on the M275A2 tractor. The tractor ran great for such a little truck.
 Most tanks I avereaged about 6.3 MPG. I had desplined front drive flanges
on the tractor and the axles pulled from the cargo. I also suspended the
intermediate axle of the piggybacked cargo truck. My route took me up the FL
turnpike to I-75 which I followed through GA to TN. While going through TN I
stopped by and did a little horse trading with George Baker. He is even nicer in
person. If you ever get a chance to look at his toys, do so. Without question
he has the nicest M114A1E1 I've ever seen. Back to the route. Took I-75 up
to the bypass in Cincinnati and went around to the little villiage of Cleves
where I seperated the trucks and both got driven all week long at "Gravelrama".
This event is 4x4 sand drag racing and hill climb event. I've been attending
since 1978. The deuces were a huge hit. We carried the Grand Marshall in the
parade and paraded the trucks in fron of the crowd on race day before putting
them up in a static display. A great time was had by all. The VIC-1 I put
together at the last minute worked very well except I had no music piped in. The
trip home was uneventful. The mountains in TN slowed me to about 40 MPH and
on one hill brought me down to 3rd gear for a bit. GA and FL presented no
problems and 57 MPH seemed to be the most comfortable speed. Hardest part was
keeping myself from creeping up on the 60 MPH mark. I have a few pics along the
way of the trucks piggybacked and at the race. As soon as I find somebody to
host them, I'll post a link. All in all my piggyback experiment was a success
and boy did it attract attention. Not one problem from the law either. A sad
note, after completeing the big trip I was backing the unit into the yard and
backed it right into a tree bending the tailgate on the cargo truck. I guess
backup lights are in order!
Kenny

Kenneth Engle
Loxahatchee FL