Re: [MV] Re M151

From: Glenn Shaw (wolf.star@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Aug 29 2003 - 06:14:30 PDT

Hi List
I would like to add one thing to Docs post. I agree with all that has been
said plus I would add that there is also the issue that 24 volt headlight
bulbs have been hard to get in the Army supply system. We had an S4 from
the shop spend a couple of days up at the USPFO lot in Fort Devens where
there were over 100 (yup) complete driveable M151A2 doing nothing but taking
out headlight bulbs that were then put in the maintenance platoon;s CONX
which went with them to Iraq. The bulbs as you know work in all the
Humvees, 900 series Hemmts and everything that went with them. SO the bulbs
may have been canned from the mutts for that reason also. Not to say that
the guys that wanted them off for target reasons did not remove them but
just that bulbs are grabbed by shop chiefs whenever they can. PS. they
then saved 2 of the Mutts for the Generals museum and crushed the rest with
an M88 after taking out the gas tanks and batteries. They were all good
driveble vehicles. Then they surplused them to a guy in Maine for scrap.
What a waste but nothing new I guess.

Glenn