Re: [MV] Are you draining your air tanks?

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 07:01:13 PDT

>Your post remined me of something. As a young lad, I worked at a recording
studio. The machines
>that wound the tape on to cassettes ran off of compressed air that passed
through a dryer. Is it
>possible to retrofit one of these dryers to the brake system of a Deuce?

Sure, all kinds of air dryers meant just for trucks with air brakes. But
they have their own regular maintenance requirements. Unless your going to
be driving the truck in below freezing weather, it's easier to just drain
the tanks now and then. Which by the way can be made much easier by
installing cable operated drain valves. Parker and Weatherhead both make
pull type tank drain valves with different length lanyards. This was in
fact an option for some variant of the deuce as it is shown in one of the
parts manuals.

I installed a pair, I think I used one with a 24" lanyard and one with an
18" but I'd have to look it up to me sure. Also installed a 90 deg street el
into the tank first to point the valves back and not have them sticking
straight down, I believe that is shown in the manual also. Now I can just
reach in to the mud flap and pull on the cables, very quick and easy.

later,

je