Re: [MV] Its NOT Alternator Supernova - Whodunnit.

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 15:10:52 PDT

Kerry ,

         Take a test type meter commonly known as a "vom". This is the type
if the old mechanical one where you select the voltage AC or DC and the
amperage . In your case select DC Direct Current and any voltage above
28-35 volts.. With your Deuce engine running hook up your positive lead
(the Red one) to the alternator output (big fat heavy cable) and your
ground test lead (the black one) to the frame of the truck or the frame of
the alternator. You should see right around 26-28 volts on the meter which
is right where it belongs. Have a friend in the cab looking at the dash
mounted volt meter and compare the readings. If your dash meter is way off
REPLACE IT until you find one that comes close to the test meter. The dash
meter may not be dead on but now that you know it is OK It will give you
much better info than one that stays in the yellow. kindly let us know how
you made out and remember this in the future, it is a lot cheaper this way
to verify whether you need a new alternator or not.

         Radio Shack sell a little pocket sized digital test meter for
about $20.00.

Jim

At 08:35 PM 9/10/2003 -0400, kbernste32@aol.com wrote:
>Thanks to listers who indicated my alternator let go - but alas it's fine
>according to $85 of local electric shop time.....meter on dash initially
>pinned to the right in the red with high rpm, later went left into the
>yellow, independent of RPM and stayed there. So meter? Bad battery?
>Was it the butler? Please send in your best guess. THANKS
>
>Kerry and Mikey and Big Mike
>What's in YOUR Wallet? (Not cash if you own a deuce)

James Shanks
n1vbn@bit-net.com
1998 IMZ 8.103
1984 H-D FLHT-C