Re: [MV] Help!! How to live in a "neighborhood" and keep your "Special Interest Vehicles" (long)

From: David Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Sat Sep 13 2003 - 20:28:23 PDT

Sounds like the code enforcement guys are twisting the law around a bit to
suit their purposes.

A lot of good points have been addressed by others.

I think it is smart to first pursue the ACLU and guys like that, but if
that goes nowhere (which it might - I've taken worse cases of
discrimination to the ACLU and they didn't feel it met their purpose at the
time), then I would suggest that you line up all of your paperwork in a
very neat order, time lined, etc. Get the name of a good lawyer who deals
in disputes such as this, and pay them a visit, layout all of the
documents, and ask for help. It's in your best interest to be as organized
as possible before you approach an attorney or else you will pay them to
organize things for you at about $150/hour or so.

I don't think it will take long for a competent attorney to find the proper
angle, make a few phone calls and get the city off your back. Some of
these cities are getting totally out of control regarding these code cops.
Their interpretations of the law often gets very creative.

Good Luck,

Dave