Re: [MV] Get a 'real diesel' dor your M35...

From: Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 17:44:03 PDT

I've seen guys do that on 8-cylinder Cooper-Bessemer
and Ingersol-Rand engines with 16" pistons. Two
"V"-8's and one "V"-12. They used a hydraulic wrench,
very slow, buy very powerful. Brian didn't like using
that though, he preferred the knock-wrenches and a
short hammer. Brian is not very tall but he's built
like a large bulldog.

These engines were used to compress natural gas to
2500 PSI into an old oil well field, yes, underground,
for storage until winter comes and NYC needs more gas.
 Very impressive engines, they used 300 PSI natural
gas to start the engines, that is to run the starters!
 Ice would form on the pipes while they were starting
them!

300 PSI gas was also used to run a turbine blower that
forced air into the exhaust side of the turbo charger
to run it up to speed before starting the engine. The
intake side of that turbo charger is almost 3 FEET in
diameter.

There are some more of this type a few mile east of
that plant that are 1956 vintage Clark's, they were
made in Olean, NY, a few miles west of here! Those
are in-line 6 cylinder engines.

I wish I'd had a tape recorder then, starting one of
those engines is a sound you'll never hear anywhere
else.

Joe