Re: [MV] SS Re: [MV] anybody know this man?

From: David Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Fri Sep 19 2003 - 09:11:20 PDT

Well that's one way to think about the spam and virus problems we all
experience. The other way to look at this situation is to realize that our
systems are so incredibly vunerable.

Talk about a national security issue!

When the main OS that our personal computers are using is so weak that kids
with some creativity and a penchant for some mischeif can break into
commercial servers, corrupt commercial email systems, etc - are the kids
the problem or is it the software and the companies writing it? I think we
need to take a hard look at the companies writing software and hold their
feet to the fire a bit. After all aren't we suppose to be worried about
terrorism, like cyber terrorism.

If we have a problem with 13 year old teenage hackers, shouldn't we be
really worried about 45 year old cyber terrorists with a Ph.D. in Computer
Science?

I agree the parents should be watching, but if you had a childhood like
mine, then you know that we also did all kinds of things that we far from
legal. Remember?

Looked at another way; this is like the MasterLock company making padlocks
that kids can open with a paperclip. Some kids realize this and a few
decide to enter the local amusement parks, dairy queens, and strip joints
after hours via the back doors which are secured with padlocks. The kids
are caught and reprimanded. The MasterLock company responds to the problem
by sending out a patch that fixes the padlocks, but two days later a kid
discovers he can open the locks with a nail and the whole process starts
over again.

Where's the problem - the kids or the locks.

Dave - a former snot nosed, pimply, girl repellant dweeb

--
Dave