Hydrogen Fuel

From: Doc Scheffler (roughdoc@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Sep 19 2003 - 15:02:06 PDT

As the partial owner of a solid hydrogen fuel, I am as interested in
hydrogen powered vehicles as anyone.

Interesting to note, the Russians used hydrogen as a fuel in their military
and civilian vehicles during WW II during the siege of Stalingrad. Major
change is the injection system. Little or no wear to the moving parts.

Currently there are more problems with hydrogen than the cost covers. No
one really wants a large tank of hydrogen in their trunk. Please understand
that when you see a tanker truck of hydrogen running down the road, they are
completely self insured, because no insurance company will insure it at a
reasonable price due to the potential blast.

There are no tanks that can hold hydrogen for the long term either because
it leaks. Most current hydrogen is created as a by product of making
gasoline and hence most hydrogen plants are adjacent to fuel refineries.

Small lab quantities are usually shipped "just in time" to preclude the loss
from the storage containers.

You could modify our military vehicles to burn hydrogen very easily. We've
done tractors, cars, trucks, etc.

The hydrogen slush fuel cells are an environmental disaster.

France is doing research on hydrogen powered jets. Sadly, it doesn't become
efficient until very high mach speeds are attained, which is why the US
industry has pretty much ignored it.

Doc