M211 Gear oil leaks

From: Caleb Pal, Network Operations (sysop@spitfire.homelinux.com)
Date: Sat Sep 20 2003 - 16:24:39 PDT

Hello all,

Well I was under my truck today doing a wioring harness and noticed that
some sort of oil-fluid was dripping out of the space between the drum, and I
guess I would call it, the backing plate. I took the drum off, all of those
little nuts, and a lot of help with a hammer, and got it off. The shoes were
soaked in gear oil. I took the axle out, with a come-along and a M35A2 as an
anchor. Got it out, and Am not totally sure what do to next. I see the
layers of big nuts in there, not very thick, just really wide. I am assuming
I will have to replace and re-pack all of the bearings. Where is a good
source for the parts needed? I will probably do all the rears while I have
everything apart, depending on the cost. Also, the front end, is not
leaking, but the steering wheel has a fair amout of play in it. I have not
driven it on the road much, I probably had it up to 35-40, had no problems
with the "Death Wobble" Just wondering how I can tighten this up.

Thanks a lot,

Caleb Pal