Re: [MV] M35 dry start issue

From: Adam Suess (ajsuess@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Sep 21 2003 - 22:33:17 PDT

I've read some where that a high % of engine where occurs at start up.
Something like 70% or 80%. the way I understand it is that during normal
engine operation the bearings and other parts ride on a thin film of oil and
should not normally directly contact the two metal faces. when a engine sits
for a bit much of the oil drains down and upon start up no film is present
to prevent metal on metal contact. In the case of the multi fuel and other
engines the oil also drains back out of the filters and when started the
pump must fill them up again before oil goes to the moving parts. The
difference in engine noise is some more rattling and also internal engine
friction until the oil reaches it. I use to work on the rail road and got
this info from one of there diesel mechanics after inquiring how they got
there big diesels to last so many hrs. Also there is some issues of oil
break down during operation due to high oil temps or over lugging the engine
exceeding the pressures the oil can protect at. All second hand info to me
but seems to make since. The Rail Road ran straight 50wt and the engine
had oil pressure “electric pumps” before even cranking it to start they
rarely shut it off any way. I switched to semi synthetic oil myself because
it is suppose to hold to the parts better after shut down. Also tolerates
higher temps and pressures or so they advertise. I did note a significant
drop in full load oil temp switching from Shell Rotella T to Cenex Maxtron
DEO in my tractors as well as easier cranking. Lighter engine loads I saw
little or no change in oil temp. The Mack engine in my M54A1 takes quite a
while to get pressure and sounds much different once it does also.

Adam Suess