Re: [MV] glow plugs cycling & wait light in a HMMWV

From: Vadim Kogan (vadim@XCF.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 11:00:12 PDT

Another update...

I've replaced the EESS with the SSI one. I've left the KDS glowplug
controller in the water manifold(?).

None of the problems came back so far. SSI box is one-piece design, so it is
not using the information from the glowplug controller. $200.

Some notes:

1. It tends to cycle the glow plugs MUCH MUCH longer.

2. It appears to stop cycling the glow plugs pretty much right away when you
put the vehicle in gear. I will need to investigate this some more. This is
not 100% reproducable yet, I need to figure out what exactly it does.

3. It will not cycle the glow plugs if you start the engine while the wait
light is on.

4. It will turn on the wait light and then cycle the glow plugs, even if the
engine is hot. Basically, if the engine is hot and you don't want your glow
plugs to cycle (e.g. you're driving at night and would prefer your
headlights not to dim), you have to use the method above.

Unlike the KDS PCB, SSI version is not bolted together, but rather riveted
for good.

Vadim.