SECONDARY USE OF THE 1911 HOLSTER

From: Gene Pantano (truks@cs.quik.com)
Date: Wed Sep 24 2003 - 08:20:43 PDT

First..It was late when I made my comment on the Boers.!! Seems I copied
what someone else had written without thinking....bad ...Geeezz.. The
Philippine Mauro's who were kicking butt were the reason for the development
of the .45 round.
Now for the answer on the holster....this pertains to the "issue" shoulder
holster also.!!
Before WW1...when the holsters were longer..and had the swivels for the
Cavalry..a need for a means of loading the pistol from horseback with 1
hand was evident...how could a Trooper load his pistol at the gallop..and
control the horse at the same time..
Here is how it was done. The .45 pistols all had lanyard loops.
..reason..was that the loops were on the pistol and the magazines. Each had
a lanyard attached and around the Troopers neck - down under his right
arm...The pistol was partially drawn from the holster --twisted to the right
a bit and pressed "smartly" forward against that "block" at the top of the
holster...--the spring plunger cap (bottom of the slide) was pressed against
the block--....when the pistol was "smartly" removed from the holster - it
was "charged" (loaded in the chamber) and ready to fire...
Then after all 7 rounds went down range --the magazine was ejected from the
pistol...(it was attached to the lanyard-remember?..and would not be lost)
then the pistol was placed in the holster..another magazine removed from the
pouch and stuck into the pistol butt......then the pistol was drawn from the
holster and the slide stop depressed-charging the pistol... This method
would allow all 3 magazines to be emptied without using 2 hands. Same
applied to the shoulder holster....that is what that "slot" is cut into the
holster for - the pistol was twisted in the holster and pressed against that
slot !!! Which loaded the pistol with one hand..! Now - you know - the rest
of the story..
Slightly MV related since every Jeep driver carried a .45 and had to keep
one hand on the wheel..!
I have done this from the back of a horse at full gallop - and - it was very
easy...! Gene