Re: [MV] S-250 shelters and trailers

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Fri Sep 26 2003 - 21:14:16 PDT

>As things are a bit slow this morning, I was thinking about that article
>in MV magazine about the radio shelters that some folks had converted
>into OD campers.

Maybe I can help, I'm one of the people that was shown in that article. The
two pics on the bottom of page 100 and the two center pics on page 101 are
mine, the fat ugly guy standing on the back of a deuce of course would be me
then.

>So that brought to mind a question: If I wanted to put an S-250 shelter
>into a trailer, rather than a CUCV or other truck, what trailer would be
>best suited to mount it in? My first thought was M-105, as it's got
>more than enough capacity to haul an S-250, and would be happier behind
>my M35 than anything else, but would an S-250 fit in it?

As to an M105, yes, very nicely. In fact there is about two feet left at the
back and 2-3/8" on each side of the wheel wells and the sides of the
shelter are as wide as the trialer but the step clears the top rail of the
box by an inch or so. The boarding ladder that came with my shelter, which
was from a Hmmwv, works very well with the trailer. Those pictures were
taken the monday morning after the Iola WI show last summer (2002) when I
had the shelter in the back of the deuce. This summer I put the shelter in
my newly aquired M105, worked out very well and left the deuce open to drive
around plus easier to level a trailer v.s. a truck. Could take some pics if
you like of the new setup. And by the way, I did in fact get running water
in there this summer. I'll have to ponder what improvements to do for next
summer ???

> I also
>wouldn't mind being able to pull it behind my 2500HD Dodge Diesel pickup
>too, just for convenience sake. Of course that opens up the whole
>trailer brake compatibility issue too.
>
>Now maybe I should just go back and read that article again, but alas,
>I'm at work and my library is at home. Plus I have no experience with
>either MV trailers or shelters, so I put it to you for your expertise
>and opinions.

Another option I was going to look into yet is to use the 3/4 ton generator
trailer. The wheel well humps are a little to narrow by only inches and
there is plenty of extra room between the tire and the wheel well. Given all
the flat sheet metal and simple bends it should be a rather simple project
to widen them up enough for the shelter to fit between them. I was told by
someone that did this that it was a pretty easy fix.

But you could also put the shelter in your civy pickup. It will also fit in
a gama goat.

Be happy to help further if I can, let me know.

later,

je