Re: [MV] M715 engine question

From: David Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Sun Sep 28 2003 - 08:52:20 PDT

This is the oil pump drive gear that is on the distributor shaft, that
drives the oil pump? Ala, small block chevy?

The only reason why bronze gears are used in the small block chevys is that
when you have a steel camshaft, it is not compatible with the steel spiral
gear on the distributor shaft. So a bronze gear is then used on the
distributor. The problem is that the bronze gears are less durable
supposidly and the require more frequent changes. Typically camshafts are
cast iron and do not require a bronze gear on the distributor. Perhaps
this guys oil pump is binding up causing the gear to fail and this is only
a sympton of a different problem?

Dave

Sounds to me like his is On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 23:10:52 -0500, Dave Brubaker