Re: [MV] Gun Trucks

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Sun Oct 05 2003 - 09:50:31 PDT

Well, I am still trying to figure out how these sorts of conversions are
going to help. From the reports I have seen troops are getting killed by
rather massive remotely detonated explosives. Small arms attacks don't
appear to be a big problem and even RPG attacks appear to have dropped
off (too dangerous for the attackers I suppose).

The unfortunate thing is that not much can be done against such remote
bomb attacks since the explosive power, if propperly shaped, placed, and
timed, would be in excess of any practical defensive armor arrangement.
 Since it would be practically impossible to protect the gas tanks and
batteries from such an attack, no sense waisting weight on armor for
them. Better to put that weight towards shielding the crew area.

This is a rather interesting conversion though. Looks like they cut up
an old M113 and mounted it on a 5 Ton? truck chasis. My guess is that
this could actually offer the kind of protection needed for the run of
the mill explosive attack, but as Jim suggests the weight would mean it
could either transport very little or not keep up with a convoy. But
this is such an involved and expensive conversion, even if it did work
the Army wouldn't be able to field more than a small handful. And that
won't solve anything.

Steve