Re: [MV] Gun Trucks

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Oct 05 2003 - 12:56:11 PDT

At 3:12 PM -0400 10/5/03, Glenn Shaw wrote:
>Hi
>I agree with Steve on the issues involved, but don't get hung up on the
>weight of that truck. Its an Aluminum M113 body. The entire vehicle
>only weighs 20000 lbs complete with all drive drain etc. The stripped
>aluminum hull is only around half that or around 10000 lbs, no problem
>for an 800 or 900 series tractor at all. It will do 65-70 no problem
>top speed. The main issues here are what Steve discussed, not being
>able to keep up with anything. Not even a tank will withstand a large
>road bomb, as the Israelis discovered a while back with a new Merkava
>tank.

The only way to find command detonated mines is the hard way. Even
Pookie (a south african mine detector vehicle) tended to suffer at
their "hands" (12 destroyed out of 67 built, 2 deaths to operators,
no AT mines detonated, RPGs and command detonated caused the only
casualties). Pookie is so light with such a reduced ground pressure
that it tends not to set off AT mines at all.

There are some good photo's of SA and Rhodesian Mine resistant
vehicles on this page. A good set of photo's of several Pookies too.

http://www.africancrisis.org/photos5.asp

More about pookie by the manufacturer
http://www.tde.co.za/Pookie.asp

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/2)