Re: [MV] Gun Trucks

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Oct 05 2003 - 12:44:27 PDT

At 1:19 PM -0400 10/5/03, <flyn3nvt@adelphia.net> wrote:
>You guys are for getting the purpose of a "gun truck". No its not
>going to be bullet proof, no its not going to be blast proof. The
>Purpose of a gun truck is to supress the enemy from taking over a
>convoy. Only a handful of trucks is needed to protect the convoy
>from a "AMBUSH" not a isolated mining incident. It is not used to
>cary equipment. Only destructive firepower.
>If the Army had enough or used "Gun Trucks" then the convoy ambush that

BingBingBing. It's a modification of the ACAV doctrine that proved
worthwhile in Vietnam. Shock value of lots of MGs and some armor to
hide behind is well worth the extra weight. Also, some of the Vietnam
Guntrucks were M113 chassis mounted in the beds of 5 tons. Far more
of the chassis was present than in these, so these have to be lighter.

What's an M113 hull weigh sans running gear, transmission, engine, tracks, etc?

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/2)