Re: [MV] Gun Trucks

From: Paul A. Thomas (bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Sun Oct 05 2003 - 17:56:03 PDT

I thought that was the entire point of Gun Trucks. ?
A ' few ' people with automatic or small rockets would attack convoys.
Gun Trucks generally killed them.

As to a comment or two in this thread about Gun Trucks in Nam not ...
losing? That wasn't the word/phrase, but close to it ( I apologize: I'm
on the road for two weeks so can't be sure of the wording.... multiple
PC's for e-mail, the MV list has developed an allergy to me, yada yada )
the first Gun Trucks photo/historical book showed many which were blown
out of the dirt.

I looked through the book, but loaned it out before reading it: my
impression was that ... more than half of the Gun Trucks in Nam were
destroyed while doing their job, tho often at least part of the crew
would survive... Does anyone really know the numbers? It seemed to me a
suicide assignment, but worthwhile in a sad/mad way. ( mad as in angry,
not fruit loops. Those of us who are nuts went into PC repair <g> )

Hoping this reaches the list....

    Paul
    MVPA 24986

I didn't say that gun trucks would have NO
impact on such a situation. If they survived the initial volley of fire

they could inflict a lot of damage before successive vollies took them
out. This would likely result in more dead bad guys, but not much more
than that.