Re: E-Bay and "Prohibited Items"

From: Muttguru@aol.com
Date: Mon Oct 06 2003 - 14:20:28 PDT

Dear Listers,

you may be interested to know that dataplates are the latest danger to German
democracy.

A week or so ago, I saw a pair of mutt dataplates for sale on E-Bay. I
forwarded the item reference number of the pages to my friend in Germany. He, like
me, collects dataplate information for his research.

Imagine my amazement when he sent me the following reply:-

"Hello Ken,
can you send me the information from the two data plates?. Ebay donīt let me
visit this items. Look at the text below.

> Unfortunately, access to this particular category or item has been blocked
due
to legal restrictions in your home country. Based on our discussions with
concerned government agencies and eBay community members, we have taken these
steps to reduce the chance of inappropriate items being displayed.
Regrettably, in some cases this policy may prevent users from accessing items
that do not violate the law. At this time, we are working on less restrictive
alternatives.
Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause you, and we
hope you may find other items of interest on eBay. >>

A slight touch of "decalcomania", methinks....
ken