Re: E-Bay and "Prohibited Items"

From: John Seidts (jseidts@astory.com)
Date: Mon Oct 06 2003 - 15:52:55 PDT

They banned firearms, but allow pornography, banned any items with Nazi
emblems from being sold, but allowed items from the WTC and Shuttle Crash to
sell. So anything manufactured from 1935 to 1944 or so in Germany is pretty
much outlawed because of the emblems- Swastika, Eagle with swastika, etc.
But they still do allow Southwestern and Southeastern Native American items
with the same insignia. If you alter the appearance of a photo, they will
prohibit the item. No bans on items with Imperial Japanese emblems from
WWII. I guess the Japanese didn't commit enough atrocities in WWII to earn
a ban from ebay. Italian Fascists- no ban; Russian Communist items- no ban.

I'm getting tired of receiving hints from Corporate America on how to think!
While a very faithful user of ebay, this business really bothers me. Just
more VERY bad P.C.

> Unfortunately, access to this particular category or item has been blocked
due
to legal restrictions in your home country. Based on our discussions with
concerned government agencies and eBay community members, we have taken
these
steps to reduce the chance of inappropriate items being displayed.
Regrettably, in some cases this policy may prevent users from accessing
items
that do not violate the law. At this time, we are working on less
restrictive
alternatives.
Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause you, and we
hope you may find other items of interest on eBay. >>

A slight touch of "decalcomania", methinks....