Re: [MV] [MVlist] DRMS article on Cnn

From: Ryan M Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 11:18:51 PDT

At 1:58 PM -0400 10/7/03, J. Forster wrote:
>Ryan Gill wrote:
>
>'Geeze. I can get most of that stuff in the Bloody Grainger Catalog. Butyl
>rubber suits with supplied air and hazardous chemical protective gear are all
>basic items.'
>
>Clearly 'dual use' is a problem. When the story ran, I wondered if they drew a
>distinction between a centrifuge used in a medical lab and one used in
>biowarfare research. I doubt there is much.

I can get those at surplus places that do bio medical research. Heck,
my mom had one that was a throwaway from her old lab at Emory. Most
of the big research institutes have cheap bio medical stuff that you
can get.

>As for beakers and other glassware, I remember a '60 Minutes' clip showing a
>Russian bio establishment. No beakers, just old jars and coffee cans... full
>of vials of smallpox, ebola, and what have you.

I have 2-3 cases of beakers and other pyrex glass ware at home that
my mother snagged from work that was getting thrown out after being
replaced by more modern stuff.

>To make a fermenter, I suspect all you need is a stainless or glass tank, some
>heaters and temperature controllers, stirrer, valves and plumbing.
>Hardly star
>wars junk.

Hmm. Sounds like Brewing supplies to me. Stainless steel brewing and
yeast manufacturing facility. I'll bet that Anheiser Busch and any
number of other beer makers have most of the facilities for making
bio warfare materials. They're already careful about contamination,
just in the opposite direction.

>IMO, this story is a PR stunt, designed for political purposes.

Very likely, or people thinking they're doing good when it's pure crap.

--
--
- Ryan Montieth Gill                         '01 Honda Insight -