Re: [MV] [MVlist] DRMS article on Cnn

From: J. Forster (jfor@quik.com)
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 10:58:16 PDT

Ryan Gill wrote:

'Geeze. I can get most of that stuff in the Bloody Grainger Catalog. Butyl
rubber suits with supplied air and hazardous chemical protective gear are all
basic items.'

Clearly 'dual use' is a problem. When the story ran, I wondered if they drew a
distinction between a centrifuge used in a medical lab and one used in
biowarfare research. I doubt there is much.

As for beakers and other glassware, I remember a '60 Minutes' clip showing a
Russian bio establishment. No beakers, just old jars and coffee cans... full
of vials of smallpox, ebola, and what have you.

To make a fermenter, I suspect all you need is a stainless or glass tank, some
heaters and temperature controllers, stirrer, valves and plumbing. Hardly star
wars junk.

IMO, this story is a PR stunt, designed for political purposes.

-John