Re: [MV] RADIOACTIVE stenciled on S250

From: m35products (m35prod@optonline.net)
Date: Fri Oct 10 2003 - 20:23:06 PDT

There are many instances of electronic components containing trace amounts
of radioactive material to enhance the operation and efficiency of the
component. For instance, certain vacuum tubes contain beta-particle
emitters. The common neon pilot light on your Sears multiple outlet strip
has a tiny bead of radioactive material to make the pilot light last longer.
There is probably a government regulation that states that any amount is
sufficient to be reportable, or labelled.

By the way, here's a neat science experiment:

Take an elderly power strip or light switch that has a neon pilot, but is
getting weak and flickery. In a dark room, watch the light as you turn on a
small flashlight. The pilot will suddenly get brighter, and stop flickering.
That's because the photons (electrons) from the flashlight are helping the
weakened neon gas to ionize. The manufacturer puts a tiny amount of
radioactive stuff inside the pilot light, as a source of photons, to
accomplish the same thing.

Thank you, Mr. Science.