Re: [MV] Miniguns

From: Edwin M. Dyer, III (sturmtiger1944@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Oct 13 2003 - 13:38:37 PDT

There was a "man pack" minigun, the XM214, IIRC. Thing
is, a minigun wouldn't be very practical as a squad
weapon. As some of you know, grunts hate carrying more
weight than they have to. A minigun would consume
massive amounts of ammunition and to make it
worthwhile, about every squad member would need to be
toting ammo to feed the thing, let alone the
complaints from the gunner having to carry it.

Asides, to make it "portable", the caliber would have
to be small. The XM214 was 5.56mm. A .50cal., asides
from not being a ravenous consumer of ammo, has a much
more powerful round and can even penetrate light skins
with the right ammo. Thus, the twin .50s would be much
heavier hitting but obviously, not having the volume
of fire of a minigun.

BTW, there is a guy who makes a .177cal. replica of
the minigun from Predator. It costs about $4,000. It
comes complete with weapon, feed chute, and the
backpack. Also, Long Mountain gun works ( I think that
is their name ) sold the blank firing 5.56mm minigun
from Terminator 2 for about $200K.

- Ed