M35 question

From: J Brennan (brenrock@optonline.net)
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 16:11:06 PDT

My town is selling a 1985 M35A2 in a sealed bid that has 38,500 miles on
it. It has what looks like the "desert" paint that was the thrown onto
many vehicles during desert storm with the upside down "V" on the doors.
There is also a small add-on data plate on the driver's side door frame
that looks like some kind of "inspected in 92" tag. I've lived here for
6 years now and never saw it moved from behind the EMS building and it's
full of bee's nests now and I'm sure home to many mice. I would guess
that it has sat there since they acquired it. The canvas roof for the
cab is in shreds so the cab has been exposed to rain and snow for at
least 6 years if not more. I am thinking of biding on it and making it
a mechanics merit badge project for the Boy Scout troop I am scoutmaster
of. I feel I can get it on the cheap and one of the dads in our troop
owns a garage and body shop that I can place it in for the boys to work
on it. In the end I'd have a 2nd green (perhaps "desert") toy to go
with my HMMWV and yet another truck for the local parades. My question
is what to look for in inspecting it? Any advice would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks!

John

'93 M1038 HMMWV
MVPA 21318