[MV] Air Compressor Recommendation?

From: Paul A. Thomas (bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 16:10:30 PDT

This list is great! I have received the opinions of perhaps two dozen
listers regarding their thoughts and experiences with different types of
abrasive blasting and the manufacturers of the equipment. Based on what I
can do now and those suggestions, I'm going to buy a Skat 960 cabinet soon.

However my 9 month old portable air compressor is not up to the job, not
even with a small carbide tip on the gun. When I have no other idea what
to do I usually go to Sears and see what they have, then buy what I need (
hopefully ). Could anyone give me their thoughts on brand and type of air
compressor to look at for this? I found a number of opinions about
blasting and air compressors on line, but found this one echoed what
listers were saying closely so thought to TRY to use his recommendations..

http://www.speedprint.com/Deves50/Sandblasting.html

However I'm not going to be doing anywhere near the volume he does, so am
currently considering a Sears unit with an 80 Gal tank, a 7 horse two stage
engine, 240 volt. Puts out 16-18 CFM at 100-175 PSI. Overkill perhaps for
the blasting cabinet, but I also will be using a pressurized gun on parts
of the trucks which will not fit into the cabinet, so the extra power will
probably come in handy.

Thanks for all of the responses. I don't like spending money, but when I
have to do it I really dislike wasting it on something that doesn't work
well. :}

        Paul
        MVPA# 24986
        '53 REO M35 Fire Conversion