Re: [MV] Wiring for Air Compressor

From: greg marks (youdog99@msn.com)
Date: Mon Oct 20 2003 - 14:19:29 PDT

I bought the 6 hp scroll compressor that you are probably describing. At
the time, it was the biggest roll-around 6 hp that Sears had. Its cycle
time at the high volume that sand blasting requires makes it very painful.
It may have been better with a pressure pot but I never had the chance to
test that.

I now have a 60 gallon Vertical 2 stage piston version that has a bit higher
cfm. I got that from Harbor Freight. I believe I was out the door at
around $400 (if I had a coupon, it would have been cheaper).
Coincidentally, I had an electrician doing some other work so I had him put
in a circuit for that compressor as well as wire in a pigtail plug
arrangement. It was something that I could have done but it was just more
convenient and safer to have the electrician set it up. Both compressors
are single phase 220.

I think for the marginal difference in cost of maybe $100 my vertical
compressor is a much better tool. And it is a lot quieter. When the scroll
compressor kicks off in the garage, I literally start looking for neighbors
to start giving me dirty looks. And it can be heard through the entire
house. Another point is that the vertical compressor actually takes up less
space than the little compressor.

Good luck,

Greg

>From: "Paul A. Thomas" <bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com>
>Subject: [MV] Wiring for Air Compressor
>Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 13:41:19 -0700
>
>A follow up to the thread last week about choosing an air compressor. ( at
>the rate I'm progressing toward buying the tools I need I've decided to
>start sanding the tail light assemblies on the Deuce by hand :{ )
>
>After looking around I found myself back at Sears, and their web site. I
>called their tech support number today and was informed all of their
>compressors will work in a home setting ( he claimed to be an ex electrical
>contractor ). Some of their units say corded, some say wire by
>professional only. Some say 220-240V, some say 240V. The spec sheets say
>nothing more about whether it's single phase or three phase power
>required...
>
>Has anyone been down this road before? Assuming the sales/tech person I
>reach knows less than I so any thoughts on how to make certain I can run a
>compressor I choose on single phase 220V ?
>

>Many Thanks for your time.
>
> Paul
> MVPA# 24986
> '53 REO M35 Fire Conversion
> '53 AEC Chevy 3/4 Ton
> www.paulathomas.com/images

See when your friends are online with MSN Messenger 6.0. Download it now
FREE! http://msnmessenger-download.com