Re: [MV] Mule Gas Cap Gasket needed

From: Neil E. Amrhein (neil@compu-powr.com)
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 08:24:53 PDT

Jeff,
    I'm going to guess that you will have a hard time finding just the gasket, although you could probably make one. I believe the original gasket is installed before the top of the gas cap is attached, making it very difficult to remove and/or install one on an assembled cap. You must stretch the hell out of it and pull it down around the 2 teeth on the cap base. It is not impossible, but it is hard, and you need to be careful.
    I got an NOS cap from Bill Watson for $20 and installed it on my mule, only to find out that when the tank got warm (sitting in the sun) it pressurized enough to cause leaks elsewhere in the fuel system. The cap appeared to be vented but it did not behave that way. I think the caps are the first design from early M274's. It does not have a selectable vent on the underside like the later caps and my original cap. The vent may have been gummed up or something, but I did not bother to try and continue using it.
    I actually took the new gasket off of the NOS cap and installed it on my original, vented cap. Fortunately, the new gasket was pliable enough to withstand the abuse and, after a short time, shrunk down and fit just fine on the old cap. While $20 is a little much for a gasket, I got the bonus of a nice, useless, NOS gas cap to sit on a shelf as a conversation piece....

    Good Luck,
        Neil

1987 Chevrolet M1028A3 CUCV
1963 Kaiser Jeep M274A1 Mule