M38A1

From: Greg Booth (gbooth@kc.rr.com)
Date: Thu Oct 23 2003 - 19:24:38 PDT

Well I went down to a Auto Mech Friend and asked to use his hub puller. He
scratched his head and said I haven't used that in years. Well we dug around
a little and then we pulled out this puller with a inch of dust on it. This
was a huge puller had five arms that bolt to the lug studs and a vary large
center bolt. Soaked down the axle with ZEP45 put the air impact to it and
hammered it till it was tight then took a hammer and smacked the end of the
bolt, then SNAP off came the hub. Doesn't look like this has seen the light
of day in 50 years. Pulled out the bearing, seals and installed a new
bearing and both seals along with a new wheel cylinder and brake shoes. My
question is, there is a threaded plug by where the bearing sets I have seen
in the past a grease zerk there, is this norm?
Greg Booth MVPA # 24369
1969 M274-A5
1952 M38A1