WWII MV Convoy Through the MO Wine County 7-8 May 2004

From: Tim Scherrer (soldierboy440@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 08:18:17 PST

If you wish to be removed from this mailing least
please notify us.

WWII Military Vehicle Convoy through the Missouri Wine
Country 6 Month Announcement

It is hard to believe we are six months away from the
Second Annual World War II Vehicle Convoy through the
Missouri Wine Country scheduled for May 7-8 2003. We
have been working hard to pin down the details, and
this should be an even bigger and more interesting
event than last year. We had 25 vehicles and 60
people attend last year despite terrible weather, and
with the statewide, national and international
publicity we received, this year’s convoy promises to
be outstanding!

We chose dates for the convoy that do not conflict
with any of the major Midwest reenacting events this
year, including Charles City or Lowell, IN. Even if
you do not have a vehicle, plan to join us. Last
year, we had plenty of space for riders, so you can
still attend if you RSVP early.

The route this year will parallel routes taken by the
Lewis and Clark expedition, which occurred 200 years
ago. The convoy will take place during a time when
many towns are planning Lewis and Clark national
celebrations. The convoy will snake along the
Missouri river at two points, and will cross it twice
during the event. Based on last year’s feedback from
participants, we have planned through more covered
roads that showcase Missouri’s beautiful foliage and
countryside. The convoy will also travel on more
gravel than last year, but the vast majority of roads
are paved.

So far the highlights of the event include:

Friday’s activities (for those who can make it):

-Another Vet Ride with perhaps additional stops to
include the VA hospital as well as nursing homes,
depending upon how many vehicles show up

-Friday night steak night at the VFW Hall.

Saturday’s activities:

-Breakfast at the VFW Hall in Columbia

-A middle morning stop at Cooper’s Landing, which is
along the Missouri River.
http://www.cooperslanding.net/

-Ashland, MO is providing free refreshments for the
convoyuers at the Optimist Building.

-Lunch will be in Hartsburg, MO along the MKT trail,
provided by Anita’s Homestyle Catering, a well known
quality caterer in the community.
http://www.anitashomestylecatering.com The stop will
be between Anita’s kitchen building and Thornhill
Winery.
http://www.missouriwine.org/wineries/thornhill_vineyards.htm

-The route will then go through some rolling hills,
and an interesting road with several stream fords that
should prove fun and photographically interesting.

-The stop in Jefferson City will include a stop at
Washington Park
(http://www.jeffcitymo.org/jeffcityweb.nsf/e0087b5460c4a721862569c2005fa85a/c416bc87ae04c41986256b42005e4985!OpenDocument
) as well as a drive around the capital building.(
http://www.visitjeffersoncity.com/capphotos.htm )
There is a Jefferson statue that we could repeat the
Bradley Photo of last year’s event.

-Dinner will be provided free by the city of New
Bloomfield, MO. They are giving us a free BBQ dinner
before departing back for Columbia.

-A dance will be held Saturday night at the Columbia
VFW hall, with swing music played in between the set
breaks of the band. This was a lot of fun last year
and we expect this tradition to continue.

The total route is about 120 miles with six planned
stops. It will be a full day event.

The convoy staff will be:

Tim Scherrer, Convoy CO
Rob Dalessandro, Convoy XO
Bill Wissman, Convoy First Sergeant
John Cullifer, Operations Sergeant
Liz Scherrer, Public Relations Officer
Tom Bos, MP Section Leader

Randy Palmer, 1st Platoon Leader
Mike Bonak, 2nd Platoon Leader
Unassigned, 3rd Platoon Leader

We are soliciting for a 3rd platoon leader. We are
looking for someone with MV as well as reenacting
experience who can read a map, and effectively lead a
platoon through a day of driving. Contact Tim if you
are interested. If the event gets big enough we may
have a 4th platoon leader.

The event itself will be more decentralized than last
year, with the platoons making individual movements,
and the company CP managing the platoons. Due to the
event expanding, this is both necessary and will add
an additional element of realism.

This year, a $10 charge for food will be collected in
advance with your registration. You may also choose
the living history option in which you can bring your
own rations and eat in the city park at a $2 event fee
to help cover expenses. Your registration form will
have the option for you to choose.

Also we remind you that correct uniforms are required
for the event. We will gladly help anyone trying to
put together their uniform locate the required items.
You can get into correct reproduction WWII clothes in
about any size for under $200. Any allied WWII
impression is fine with us, and most German
impressions are as well. If you want to attend as a
German, just coordinate with us in advance, and we can
give you the German guidelines.

Please realize the majority of these details are set,
but some may change up to the last minute, so bear
with us on it. We are dealing with 6 cities, 3
counties and 3 businesses for this event, so things
can change.

We will be posting hotel information as well as other
pertinent data on the event as it becomes available.
We are also working on an original T-shirt design from
reenactor and MV artist Lee Bishop.

We will begin posting information on the event website
this month, and will be updating it until the event
occurs. The address is
www.geocities.com/soldierboy440/railsplitters or you
can reach me by phone at 573-449-3677 or by email,
soldierboy440@yahoo.com . We will be putting hotel
information on the webpage, and other pertinent data
as soon as the coordination is complete.

Pictures of last year’s event may be seen at:

http://www.ruralmissouri.org/03JunewwII.html

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/ShareLandingReg.jsp?Um=13743101203.74971979803&Un=2136058224&Upost_signin=BrowsePhotos.jsp%3FshowSlide%3Dtrue&UV=256758240218_97330843705

Army Motors #105 has an extensive story on the event
as well.

We are excited about this event and another
possibility to “Keep Them Rolling.”

Tim and Liz Scherrer
Coordinators of the WWII MV Convoy
Columbia, MO 7-8 May 2004