Re: [MV] 6.2l diesel tool and glow plug info

From: Ron (rojoha@comcast.net)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 11:41:12 PST

Wow Guy, getting mega response from this post.
  Headed to work for a double now, will get back with a synopsis of replies
if they haven't shown up on list by tommorow morning. A couple have asked
how I killed the glow plugs. Well, grab a cold one and sit back...

    My problem developed while driving the PoS, errr, the M1010 to work the
other night. Started up after usual 10 second crank without manual glow plug
button (controller card is dead) being depressed to prime the system. Then a
7 chipmunk preheat on the button without cranking and then a 2 or 3 rev
crank, she fires right up.
    About 5 minutes into the 15 minute ride I notice an odor similar to a
toaster or an electric space heater being started for the first time of the
season. I open the window and the odor gets stronger for 20 seconds or so
and then it goes away. I figure it was something from one of the trucks
passing me (they ALL pass me on the highway) and think nothing more of it.
    I get t work, shut down all fat, dumb and happy.
    Next morning, I come out, crank for prime, push the manual preheat
button and.... nothing. No reassureing 'clunk' of the relay sucking in, no
drop on the volt meter.Uh-oh.....
    I try shorting the 'suck in terminals' on the relay with no joy. I don't
have a meter, and can't seem to locate one in the plant since the
electricians hide better than I do.
    After getting a ride home and grabbing another cripple from the
driveway, I return with the Missus to try to get the M1010 running.
    Following the trouble shooting instructions from the manual I find:
    A) 24 VDC at the top terminal (in) of the new style glow plug relay.
    B) 3.5 VDC at the top 'suck in terminal' of the relay.
    C) 24 VDC at the bottom 's.i.t.' of the relay.
    D) 4 VDC at the bottom 'load' terminal feeding the glow plugs.

    Nothing happens when you push the manual push button, or when you short
the terminals of the switch or the 2 's.i.t.'s. The relay appears dead.
    Now you should find 12 VDC at the top terminal of the relay, not 24VDC.
Looks like the resistor went south.
    So I drop back 10 yards and with the help of the Missus, put 12VDC to
the bottom terminal of the relay to feed the plugs for 8 seconds and crank.
She spins nice but no joy. I repeat it again with no start.
    I check 4 of the 8 glow plugs for resistance and find them open, i.e. no
resitance and no continuity.
    Drop back 10 yards and since the glow plug system is dead, use the 'wiff
of starting fluid' method and she starts right up. I head for home and
notice an interesting dash panel light show occuring. Water in fuel light
and seat belt light and emergency brake 'on' lights are flashing on and off
, sometimes together and sometimes independently.
    Get it home and park it and there she sits.
    And so I turn to the CUCV gurus of the list....

    Ron