Re: [MV] Should I buy an M35?

From: Grant Stockly (grant@stockly.com)
Date: Tue Nov 04 2003 - 02:07:19 PST

At 08:53 PM 11/3/2003, you wrote:
>Hi, Grant:
>
>I own an -'87 AM-General M35a (non-turbo) with a cargo bed. It has the
>Hercules multi-fuel engine. I've had it for a few months now and here are
>my experiences:
>
>1)Fuel milage:
>The max speed with the 9:0 tires is about 55. There is an admonishment on
>the dash not to exceed 55, but it won't go any faster, anyway, on a
>straightaway. I can go 55 with the throttle wide open and I get about 6
>miles per gallon. If I back it off to about 50, it runs great and doesn't
>smoke at all and I got about 12 MPG on a trip from Wisconsin to NY
>carrying a 3500 lb load. It seems too good to be true, but I seem to get
>really good fuel milage even around town if I keep my foot out of it. I've
>been told the smoking on heavy engine load would be cleaned up a bit with
>a turbo and , of course, I'd get more power. I'll investigate that in the
>spring.

I've seen one M35 where they removed one rear axle, removed the bed, use a
set of front leafs in the rear, and installed one of those M something or
other trailer beds (the one with the wheel well) and bolted on 53" michelin
tires. Have any of you done this? I wouldn't use 53" tires due to the
fact I want a 2.5ton truck, not 1 ton. ; ). What about something smaller
like 48"?

Does using 14x20 or 16x20 tires help gas mileage or does it ruin performance?