Re: [MV] Abrams Tank Disabled by Mystery Round

From: Doc Bryant (rbhonk1@cox.net)
Date: Wed Nov 05 2003 - 22:55:36 PST

What hit the Abrams has not been verified and came as a surprise to our
forces. I'm therefore puzzled why you are so sure you know what it was.
 Plus, that doesn't change anything... the pics were classified and they
were leaked. Classified is classified even if it doesn't make sense to
the individual for such a designation.

< I saw where the report is sensitive. Not classified. I also did not
notice any great uproar anywhere else over these pictures being bandied
about.

The Abrahms has been sold to foreign countries. One can easily assume other
nations intelligence outfits have looked at the tank very carefully. And
that is an assumption that I could take to any bank and cash.

In testing weapons, if you have a good idea the composition of the armor you
are trying to breech, its a standard practice to be able to establish a test
material and then extrapolate that data to give you an idea how it would
perform if that weapon hit the real McCoy. Obviously, you can not plan in
that test for Clausewitz's fog of war, but you can understand what the
projectile will do to a roughly equivelent armor shield. Then, if you are
worried about any fudge factors, just dial up the performance a notch or
two. Overkill is never a bad idea.

 The weapon wasn't thought to be effective but the gunner got a lucky
hit and found something that wasn't planned on.

The Golden BB theory? No. Although its done, and we all know it, one
should never field a weapons system based on the hope for lucky shot.

Never assume that the enemy knows what they are doing
and give them intel they didn't have on a silver platter.

True. We should have not then allowed FMS of these tanks to other nations.

Doc Bryant