jeep fuel problems

From: Brian Mead (brian@hardscrabblefarm.com)
Date: Fri Nov 07 2003 - 12:45:53 PST

Esteemed list,
        My 1944 MB has decided to start acting up. I'm thinking it's the fuel
pump...wanted to get y'all's opinion before I wasted any time working in
the wrong direction!

        The jeep has been operating fine for the last couple of years. Recently,
it's been quite hard to start after it's sat for about 1-2 weeks. It just
will not start. I can pour gasoline into the carb & get it to run for a
few seconds. Is this the "gasoline eating the fuel pump diaphragm" I hear
so much about? ...or is there some other direction I should try first?

Thanks,
Brian Mead