Re: [MV] M35 Parking Brake

From: Mark Ehle (markehle@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Nov 08 2003 - 06:14:35 PST

The dunebuggy I built has a similar device, only it had a large rubber
button that you push after you depress your brake pedal. It was made
specifically for the job. It was about 1" square on the face and about 1.5"
deep, black anodized aluminum.

I can' remember the manufacturer (it was 11 years ago when I put the thing
together), but I would bet that the buggy shops still sell something along
those lines.

No offense to Jim, but I would caution against using anything but
brake-specific hardware for any brake system modifications. If a valve
leaked or otherwise failed, you might be screwed royally.

If a person had some access to metal-working machinery, he could make a
parking brake along the lines of the locking system in an automatic
transmission. Mount a disk with holes in the face of it on one of the
differentials on the input shaft. Make an air-operated pin lock into the
holes when you want to lock up the drive train. You wouldn't have to modify
the brakes at all. Hmmm - how many of you folks would be interested in a
system like that if someone were to manufature it? My idea first! I got
dibs!

I have to go talk to my patent lawer right now.

Later -

Mark Ehle
1970 AMG M35A2
Dowling, MI

>From: Jim Newton <jnewton@laurel.com>
>Subject: Re: [MV] M35 Parking Brake
>Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 05:42:20 -0800
>

>Hello...
>
>I used to have a dune buggy years ago, and because the VW chassis had
>to be shortened 14-1/4", the emergency brake cables were always a
>problem.
>
>So I rigged up a simple ball valve in the hydraulic brake line that
>went back to the rear brake cylinders. To engage parking brakes, I
>would push down on the brake pedal and turn the ball valve closed
>position. This would hold the pressure in the rear brakes until the
>ball valve was opened.
>
>I hid the ball valve so that it doubled as an anti-theft device.
>
>I think that you could easily plumb this in to the brake line that
>goes to the rear wheels, and place the ball valve on the dash board if
>you wish.
>
>I think I have seen a push button version of valves like this since I
>did it on my dune buggy...maybe JC Whitney?
>
>Of course, another idea would be to mount a heavy disc brake rotor on
>the drive shaft along with a caliper set, and hook this up as a
>separate system. It could be a back up to the stock shoes on the
>driveline brake.
>
>Good luck!
>
> >I need more things to operate on my dash board, and I can't seem to keep
>my
> >E-brake adjusted reliably. With these two ideas in mind: Is there a way
> >use the brake air supply to hold the service brakes on for winching, to
>get
> >the same effect as "Mico" brake-lock systems? Is there a way, for
>instance,
> >to add an air valve on the dash, so that the air acts continuously on the
> >air pack? Thanks.
> >
> >APB

> >To unsubscribe, send e-mail to: <mil-veh-off@mil-veh.org>
> >To switch to the DIGEST mode, send e-mail to <mil-veh-digest@mil-veh.org>
> >To reach a human, contact <ack@mil-veh.org>
>
>--
>
>Jim "Ike" Newton
>
> o 1984 M1007 CUCV Military Suburban
> 6.2 Liter (378 CID) Turbo-Diesel Engine
> 5/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD
>
> o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half"
> 478 CID Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine
> Air Shift Front Axle
> 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD
>
> See These Trucks at www.CUCV.NET
> Keyword Searching of 22,000 Electronic TMs at www.MILDOCS.com
>

>===Mil-Veh is a member-supported mailing list==To unsubscribe, send e-mail
>to: <mil-veh-off@mil-veh.org>

Compare high-speed Internet plans, starting at $26.95.