Re: [MV] M35 Parking Brake

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Sat Nov 08 2003 - 19:27:45 PST

What you guys are talking about is known as a Microlock and was very
popular in the sixties and seventies. Whether it was electrical or a lever
you moved they both operated the same was. To set brake flip lever all the
way or push and hold the button then step on the brake HARD a couple of
good stomps but not all your weight to set brake. The system was for short
term stops not overnight parking brakes. To release the brake simply flip
the lever all the way to the "Drive" position and the brakes are released
that easy. The electrical version you simply stomp on the brake pedal
without pushing the button and it opened the one way valve and off you go.
The only safety consideration is with the manual lever control THE LEVER
MUST POINT TO THE FLOOR WHEN THE BRAKES ARE RELEASED. This way the
vibration from the truck won't close the manual valve if mounted the wrong
way.

Jim

\At 08:50 AM 11/8/2003 -0500, 194cbteng@bellsouth.net wrote:
>These work fine, just be sure to firmly apply brakes FIRMLY is key word,
>friend of mine jumped in his truck that had this device but brakes had not
>been firmly applied, this let truck move, he was in a hurry and did not
>notice truck pulling hard until smoke started coming from wheels, he was
>known thereafter as "brake shoe"
>
>I wonder also that if this device was in place and applied; if like my
>friend you drove anyhow, would you have brakes or would valve block flow
>both ways???
>
>I always pumped bakes couple of times then flipped swith, do not know what
>would be the effect of flipping switch and then pumping brake pedal.
> >
> > From: MVTrucker@aol.com
> > Date: 2003/11/08 Sat AM 08:22:54 EST
> >>
> > A M135 w/winch I had has a switch to lock the brakes.
> > Apply the brakes and flip the switch. I think what it
> > does is activate some sort of shutoff in the hydraulic
> > brake line. My 5-ton wreckers have a similar device.
> > I don't see any reason one of these couldn't be adapted
> > to a M35A2.
> > Joe Young

James Shanks
n1vbn@bit-net.com