Re: [MV] A Frame crane setup for front end of 5 ton truck?

From: David Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 10:36:17 PST

I'll cross brace the pipes somewhat - ala ladder bracing. The bracing is
the key.

You'd be amazed at how much a 2.5 inch pipe will hold if braced. The roof
of my 50' x 30' barn is supported by 10 - 2.5" schedule 80 pipes. With
cross bracing it is extremely ridgid.

A lot of those heavy lifting cranes are made out of tube also, but the
bracing minimizes the ability for the tubes to deflect under load.

I was wondering what the official procedure was to get the US issue A frame
in the air. Perhaps they utilize 3 guys and a pole to push it up and then
connect the guy wire?

Dave