Re: [MV] Mil manuals for driver certification on deuces, 5 tons,Humvees,etc?

From: Cliff S (mtnbikinssgt@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 11 2003 - 06:28:47 PST

Ok guys let me put this one to rest.  I am an Active Duty SSgt in the Corps and have been around the Motorpool for a few years now, though I am a HazMat guy by trade I do know what goes on in the Ops dept and the Maint bays.  I was issued a M998A1 to drive for my work issues and had some custom modifications to the truck as well, all within limits as my MGySgt allowed me to do only so much.  Anyhow the answer is YES you do need a License to drive ANY specific vehicle the Marine Corps has (and remember this is first hand knowledge).  I did have to do a driving test and a road test to be able to drive my M998A1, and I say A1 because I had to go back and get my A2 license later on (as we only got them about 2 years ago).  YOU HAVE TO BE TRAINED ON EACH PIECE OF EQUIPMENT, AND TESTED!  Each truck has different items you need to check for daily, that would be your PM (Preventive Maint) that you do before, during and after you drive the truck.  There is a whole list and log of items you need to accomplish and PASS in order for that truck to be on the road.

So simply put, YES you have to test on your truck, and you have to be able to drive it as well.

If you want more about this Im sure I can get you all what you need by todays standards *maybe not vietnam era stuff but definitely todays.

Cliff Smith

'?? AMG M35A2
'77 M880
'68 M274A5