Re: [MV] CUCV Dash and side panel paint?

From: Julian Burke (julian@knology.net)
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 21:11:14 PST

Well, I see that it's time to get out my "wash & wear" answers again for
same questions that turn up every 3 months or so! I wrote a good article in
Military Motors over a year ago covering this very subject and will share it
again:

> Bruce asked: " Hi All,
> I think I heard that you can get a special paint or coating for the
> dash board and
> interior door panels that will make them look like new, and then you can
> keep
> them tat way with armorall."

> Here are four items that will be very useful to know in restoring your
CUCV.
> I've already done the footwork, cost and you won't have to!
>

> 2. BURGUNDY SPRAY PAINT FOR THE DASHPAD. When a new dash is ordered from
> Chevrolet (about $183 body shop price), it comes gray in color. To paint
is
> and make it look perfect, your local automotive paint suppliers should
have
> this on their "generic" rack. It is a regular size 13 oz. vinyl & plastic
> spray manufactured by SEM products of Charlotte, NC. The color is
Burgundy
> and the stock number is 15063. The contents of the can is little more
than
> enough to do the entire dash and is a perfect match! It will "make" the
> interior of your unit! Cost is about $8-9. At this point, I recommend
that
> you buy a new black insert from Chevrolet and is about $11 body shop
price.
> Original insert is cut for the NBC bracket and unless you want that
bracket,
> DON'T cut the new black insert and your CUCV will look great! Little
emblem
> is about $5.60 and worth it for a nice touch. Don't forget to wipe down
the dash pad with alcohol
before
> painting.
>
> 3. GLOW PLUG TEMPERATURE SENSOR. Here is a real goodie piece of info.
The
> number in your 34P lists the chevy part number but it has been upgraded to
> this GM stock number: 10045847. Comes with threadseal, shrink splice and
> little pigtail harness to splice into the black/yellow wires to upgrade
the
> old plug to fit on the new glow plug sensor. White wires on it are way
> long so cut some off so they won't be dangling over top of engine. Cost
is
> about $22 body shop price. Works great and don't use the old style
sensor.

> 4. GLOW PLUG RELAY. Back to NAPA again. It is a "Ford" style relay and
> stock number is: GPR 109. This relay is a round, brown one and is a
> suitable replacement. Cost is about $17 and its' footprint will match the
> two screws to mount it even though they don't look like they will! You
will
> also have to find or buy new brass nuts and washers for the electric
hookup
> to it as none come with it. The ones from the old relay will not match
it.
> (probably metric) If your old GPR looks like a "dimmer switch"
(bakelite),
> replace it. If it isn't bad, it soon WILL be! The military upgraded this
> one; is a little silver can, (looks like a Ford type starter solenoid)
and
> is a very good one to use. If one isn't available, using the one I found
is
> satisfactory and is heavy duty waterproof.

  Your military NUT in general, Julian Burke