[MV] NJ Horror

From: Glenn Shaw (wolf.star@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 18:43:06 PST

Hi all

All the Humvees/hummers made have a 6 digit serial number. To satisfy
the requirements of the civilian LEAPS/DRIVES/NCIC systems they like to
see a uniform 17 digit number. They will also look for a 17 digit
number when entering a stolen or recovered report also. This number is
easily constructed using the Manufacturer code, year of manuf, etc with
the 6 digit serial at the end. The Army only is concerned with the
actual 6 digit vehicle serial number. They then assign their own ID
number anyway. All hummers mil and civ have been built sequentially
from 000001 to the present number which I cant recall off hand but it is
over 162000. Civ hummers all have had the 17 digit number created and
assigned. In the service manual it has the breakdown as to what
characters can go in each space for the first 11 digits.

You can very easily create the proper number using the information for
your Hummer. The problem will come when they see a title from another
state with just the 6 digits on it. I would try to get them to accept
it that way if it is already on a state title from somewhere. The 17
digits IS NOT mandatory for them to register it. My M151 has a 5 digit
number and is registered with that and titled to that.

Hope that helps

Glenn
MVPA
MTANJ