Re: [MV] NJ Horror

From: m35products (m35prod@optonline.net)
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 19:53:19 PST

Lar & folks:

I just returned from the BAW (Bureau of Arrogant Women) aka the NYS DMV,
where I had previously encountered the same situation on my 1954 Dodge Power
Wagon, which has a 9-digit VIN.

When I returned the second time, I brought back with me a signed "VIN
Verification Letter" and a digital photo of the VIN plate, both courtesy of
my local cop shop. They were happy to do the inspection of the truck, they
said, and are, in fact, obligated to perform that service for the public.

The clerk at the DMV actually did something clever: She punched in my
9-digit serial number, and let the computer scroll down until she found a
1955 Power wagon, with the similar VIN format. (Actually, a truck that had a
number very close to mine) At that point, with no defenses left, and no
time-outs or excuses at her disposal, she capitulated and declared me the
winner in this small skirmish with the People's Republik duh Nuevo Yok.

I now have a registered PW and took my first (legal) ride today. Hoorah!
Lar, move out here.

A P Bloom