Grounded War Birds - Silver lining to the cloud

From: Chris Davis (cdavis@webworldinc.com)
Date: Sat Nov 22 2003 - 19:22:06 PST

I too hope WWII era aircraft will continue to be flown for a long time to
come, and support the efforts of those involved in keeping them in the air.

That said, keeping an intact example or two stashed away in museums may
serve more than a "gathering dust" purpose. I remember watching a
documentary on the History Channel a month or so ago that covered the
effort to replicate the Wright brothers flyer. The folks involved had to
do a lot of searching and estimating to make it happen... turns out the
machine hanging in the Smithsonian isn't as entirely complete or original.

A day may come when it's economically viable to produce faithful copies of
WWII aircraft, providing something still exists to lay calipers on.

I know... the hand labor involved, expense of the material used, and
complexity of the designs probably rule this out. But look at the home
built WW I aircraft made today. Would Eddie Rickenbacker have guessed
folks would be building replicas of his Spad in their garages some 80 years
after WW I ended?

Who knows, todays WWII "hanger queens" may prove an invaluable resource for
aerial re-enactors of the 22nd century.

Chris Davis
MVPA# 20000
'45 WC51