Re: [MV] Memphis Belle

From: J Travis (dagobert@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Nov 22 2003 - 15:12:49 PST

Wow, that's the first I'd heard about the crash. I saw that Heinkel
(claimed to be Gen. Franco's personal transport at one time) when it
flew into the airport at Smyrna, Tennessee along with 4 (yes, 4 at once)
B-17s and an F-86 Sabre (and this wasn't even at the annual airshow!).
That made for one HELL of a flight line, and the best part was, it was
open to anyone who walked up and wanted to hang out. I'm certainly sad
to hear about the loss of the two guys flying it, as well as the
aircraft itself. But in answer to the question, when it comes down to
the last real example, then maybe it's time to consider doing what was
done with the Me-262s in Germany- reverse engineer it, and build 5 or 6
(or more) flying exact replicas to sell off, and keep the type flying as
well as preserving the original(s). Yes, it's expensive, and yes, they
can be dangerous to fly. But as so many types of MVs are becoming more
and more rare as originals, it would seem that some acceptance of the
idea of replicas being manufactured might gain support. Tiger tanks
would seem another good potential for this, and no, they wouldn't be
original, but they would be "real" (if done full-size and in proper
exterior detail) to the average spectator, who might gain more
appreciation for preserving the original ones if they could see, hear
and "feel" one rumble past.

Jay Travis