Re: [MV] Memphis Belle

From: flyn3nvt@adelphia.net
Date: Fri Nov 21 2003 - 15:56:05 PST

This is correct about the Belle. As for owning rare aircraft, it is alot like owning a MV since I do own both. My father and I own and fly a 1940 Naval Aircraft Factory N3N-3.....only 816 of the -3's were built and there are about 50 left still flying. Some of these including ours were finally retired from the Navy in 1959!! There is a small organization that is dedicated to the preservation of the N3N. This is crucial to the survival of operating one like these. Many times we have swapped parts with no $$$ involved so another N can take the air.

As for the Brittish......gotta love them!!!! Even though they fly most of the rare ones. Even if there not airworthy, they still run!!! Once a month, they will start them up and taxi them around the aerodrome for pictures. I remember reading a yr or 2 ago that a museum finally got enough money to get the 4th RollsRoyce Merlin Engine on the wing of a Lancaster......they taxied it around for pics.....the operator took the old bird and lined her on the runway and did a high speed taxi, fast enough to get the tail up.........the croud went nuts!!!!!!
Though eventually they will have a flyer.

Jeff