Re: [MV] FW: Spam Filtered: re: [mv] what happened?

From: Paul A. Thomas (bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Tue Nov 25 2003 - 18:29:36 PST

I've been putting off spam filtering forever, and finally decided to dig
into it two weeks ago.
All I can add is BEWARE. I can easily see some alleged spam protection
companies actually engineering better spam with the help of their 'clients'.
If it is of any help, there is a freeware spam filter available at
www.spampal.org which I've settled on. It seems to be supported by as many
folks as support LINUX ( ok, maybe not that many ) but the same sort of
people who want to use/publish code with no hidden tricks or back doors...
who actively support problems which come up, who update it constantly. and
for free because they are pissed about being spammed. I've tried
commercial products and other 'free' ones, but thus far this one is the
best IMSHO. After two weeks of tuning ( for example, all emails from
@mil-veh.org are 'white-listed' so that no matter which server I receive
them from they make it through to my in box ) I'm getting about 80-95% of
the spam, and almost no emails I really wanted in my spam box.
Having just waded through learning the jargon if anyone on list wants help
with this I am happy to try.

         Paul
         2/3 can of Hormel Spam in fridge. MUCH better than C-rations.