Re: [MV] 5 ton traction problem

From: John Souza (John.Souza@ci.fresno.ca.us)
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 09:05:21 PST

Bob,

Was the passenger side rear axle spinning? That will usually spin
cross-wise. If it were your left rear spinning then the right middle
would be spinning.

The air cylinder on the transfer case could be rusted. There are to
air lines that go tot hat from the transmission. That shifts the
sprague from forward to reverse. The inlet line to the transmission
could be disconnected and blocked. If you hear a puff of air when you
shift from first to reverse and back again, then the line is connected.
I have seen them disconnected because the valves leak on the
transmission. If the line is connected, I would look tot he air
cylinder on the transfer. That is usually rusted due to the
condensation in the air system. The cylinder has springs on both sides
and returns to neutral when there is no air. Probably got frozen in
neutral if is set for a long time.

Let me know what you find.

John Souza
MVPA #2697
Fresno, CA

>>> <rcb.com@att.net> 11/26/03 8:23:21 AM >>>
MVers:
I have a 1962 M51 dump that was previously owned by a municipality
that used it to plow. The other day I was stuck in the mud and noticed
that only the driver side forward rear was spinning !!! All drive
shafts,
etc. are in tact. Any thoughts on why, and where to start my
investigation ???
Many Thanks and HAPPY THANKSGIVING to All !!!!!!
Bob

<mil-veh-digest@mil-veh.org>