Re: [MV] transfer case vibration in M998

From: Vadim Kogan (vadim@XCF.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 09:02:25 PST

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 08:22:49AM -0800, Horrocks, Aaron wrote:
> I had a strange noise/viberation come out of the rear area of my transfercase on my Nissan Pathfinder for a while. I just couldn't figure it out... Everything seemed to work fine, but this noise just kept sneaking up on me from time to time, and it was getting worse. It was to the point where I was about to start seriously taking things apart. Luckily, I found out that there was a sensor in the back of the transfercase with a relay. I was shocked to find out that because of a low voltage on the battery, this relay was turning off an on so fast that it was "humming" and causing a viberation!
>
> So if all else fails, there's a slim chance your viberation might not be mechanical, but eletrical! I was able to "fix" the situation with a new, fresh battery. My best guess would be that you might have some wornout bearings though.

Well, I don't think there's anything electrical in that tcase at all...
As for the bearings, that's where I'm quite confused. Nothing should be
spinning in the tcase. Nothing at all. The rear shaft is locked, the tranny
is in N. The vehicle is not moving. I realize that transmission, even in
neutral, could try to rotate the tcase a little, but it should not be able
to turn anything at all due to parking brake.

> Aaron Horrocks
> 1952 M38A1

Vadim.