5 Ton Vehicle Transporter

From: Ryan M Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 12:14:36 PST

OK. Since there are often damn good (TM) ideas on
this list. I thought I'd solicit some more.

As some of you know, I'm looking for a 5 Ton
truck to act as a transporter for my 3.5 Ton
British Armored car (WWII). I'd sometimes use it
to move the 4.5 ton Ferret. Eventually, the truck
will be pressed into service towing a trailer of
proper size with the Humber mk IV on it (7 ton
load). That's down the road however as the Humber
is still getting losta work performed on it in
the UK.

Now, the basic question is how would _YOU_ secure
a 3.5 ton wheeled load that's under 12' long and
about 4.5 feet high on the bed (or some other
cargo bed option?). The truck I'm looking at
again is a LWB that will need a bed added. Either
custom or a modification to an existing 2.5 ton
or 5 ton standard bed.

One basic idea I have is to get some cargo tie
down points that either bolt or weld on and affix
some heavy angle iron to the chassis so that the
cargo tie down points are under holes in the
cargo bed.

Another idea is to get a conventional heavy bed
from a civilian truck and modify that as a means
of hauling the Dingo.

Some kind of integral or add on ramps are are a
key component for loading the Dingo in the truck
while at events. I also plan on perhaps adding
some kind of winch off of a rear PTO so as to
provide a possibility for recovering a
non-functional vehicle at an event. Ideally
something that I can deploy or assemble all by
myself at a MV event as sometimes I'll be on my
own for loading or unloading.

Cab protection is a question as well. A barrier
of some sort to help retain the vehicle in the
bed in the event of some kind of sudden
deceleration is kind of important. I don't want
to become a hood (bonnet) ornament for my Dingo.

What cinched this whole method for me was the
WWII light tank transporter that was built on a
6x6 chassis. Eventually, I hope to visually
modify the truck so that it appears to be a WWII
type Long Wheelbase truck. Mostly a matter of
lights, sheet metal and some grill work to
accomplish this. That's long term.

For reference, here is the Dingo:
http://www.mindspring.com/~rmgill/britkit/vehicles/images/dingowcarrier.jpg

--
  Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                  |          -==----
  '60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '43 Humber MkIV (1/2)