Re: [MV] 5 Ton Vehicle Transporter

From: Ryan M Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 13:26:59 PST

At 3:47 PM -0500 12/3/03, Neil E. Amrhein wrote:
>Ryan,
>
> I'd say that the tie-downs in/under the bed
>should work fine, provided they were of
>sufficient strength and were welded in properly
>(with enough reinforcement). I'd probably be
>tempted to mount some anchors to the frame
>somehow, too, just for good measure.

There are attachment points along the sides (hand
grabs for lack of a better term) that are 10,000
lb rated (Transportation Guidance TM). Those bolt
on and an angle plate bolted through those would
work great as anchors.

> The only other thing I would wonder about
>are the ramps themselves. They would have to be
>pretty long and awfully stout to hold those
>weights. The cargo bed of a M813 is 56" off the
>ground with 11.00x20's on it. I'm not sure about

Based on my cad drawing, I'm looking at a 12'
long ramp for a ~21° angle. That should work for
both the Dingo or the Ferret just fine. It
wouldn't work for a little street car however,
but I'm not really planning on using this for
that.

>the super-singled trucks, but they're probably
>3-4" higher. The ramps would have to be almost
>10' long to achieve a 30° incline, which is
>pretty steep to me. It might not be too steep to
>climb, but you'll also have that breakover angle
>to clear with your vehicles at the top.
>Fortunately for you, with relatively short
>wheelbases, you can overcome sharper angles. It
>doesn't look like 30° approach angles are a
>problem for your vehicles.

I know the WWII 6x6 had some ramps able to take
the 30 ton M3/5 series tanks so its not a
stretch. The short bed limits the overall length
and I've drawn up some ladder type ramps in 5'
sections that should hold the weight. Box section
runners with angle iron cross bars. I've designed
in some hinge points on both ends that double as
leg attachment points (think of a screw jack with
a sleeve at the top for the hinges to anchor
through) so a full ramp has a leg (or two) in the
middle of the span. The 6' sections should be
easier to manage. I'd have 6 of them welded up so
I would have 2 extras and I could add some in for
additional length if need be.

Its an idea so far. I don't know if they'd
actually work or not based on strength of the
tubing. I need to find a chart that shows bending
strength for various types of tubing and angle
stock.

> It definitely would be a cool site to see pulling into a rally.

Add to that I'm thinking about adding some extra
long Cargo Bows over the Dingo and putting a
doghouse/Radio body in between the cargo area and
the cab. If I do it right, It'd look like a very
odd but interesting WWII recovery/shop truck. I
might use the bits from a natty M109 Shop Van as
the basis for the short workshop body.

--
--
- Ryan Montieth Gill                         '01 Honda Insight -